Then come back on that night (still Weds May 1) for Celebrate the Arts! Enjoy a glass of wine in the art gallery at 6pm before the final orchestra concert at 7pm.
And now, here are your calendar updates.
CALENDAR HIGHLIGHTS –
for the next two weeks:
- PACA sponsored spring yard games out for US – Mon 4/29 – Thu 5/30
- US Band Concert – Tue 5/30 730p Dining Hall
- Last PACA Parent Forum – Wed 5/1 8a Dining Hall
- Senior Night Boys Varsity Tennis vs Worthington – Wed 5/1 430p
- Celebrate the Arts Director Circle Backstage Pass – Wed 5/1 6-645p Morris Hall Art Gallery – RSVP, Adults only, $10 *see below/register
- US/MS Orchestra Concert – Wed 5/1 7p Dining Hall
- Arts/World Language Awards Assembly – Thu 5/2 – faculty/students only
- Senior Year Book Page and optional Senior Photo due – Fri 5/3 *kids create their own
- Senior Mom Lunch – Fri 5/3 12-2p – The Derzons, *pot luck – see invite
- Seniors Last Day Senior Bell – Fri 5/3 2-320p Senior Quad – Parents may watch from the balcony – seniors wear their college T-shirts
- CA Athletic Celebration – Fri 5/3 for remaining college athletes signing
- All That Jazz Concert – Fri 5/3 730p Dining Hall
- 10th Grade Parent Derby Party – Sat 5/4 730p – Nester Home in Powell – RSVP to Evite – take your prom photos, drop off the kids and come
- Prom – Sat 5/4 8-11p – The Toy Barn in Dublin – all grades invited – must arrive by 9 so make dinner plans early, be inclusive – encourage your kids to include someone in their group for dinner reservations or pre-prom activities. Logistics guidelines: 9/10th grade girls wear cocktail dresses and 11th/12th grade girls wear long dresses, suits or tuxes as desired, corsages/boutonnieres if going as dates if decided, many people go as groups or with friends, check on after prom activities to keep everyone safe and healthy.
- CAPSA Event: Holi – Hindu Festival of Colors celebration Sun 5/5 2-4p LS Playground – RSVP *See Below
- AP Exams Mon 5/6 – Fri 5/17 *kids know when their tests are, dress code, no hoodies. Students must attend class the afternoon before a morning test, but may request the morning off before an afternoon test – release forms filled out this week.
- SEED Meeting – ASHA Ray of Hope – Domestic Violence in South Asian Communities in Columbus – Mon 5/6 8a *Trustee Room
- Senior Night Boys Varsity Baseball vs Whitehall – Mon 5/6 5:15p
- Senior Night Boys Varsity LAX vs Bexley – Thu 5/9 5:30p Hondros
- Class President Speeches/Elections – Thu 5/9 & Fri 5/10
- PACA Spring Gala – The Iconic 80’s – Sat 5/11 7-11p Dining Hall – PACA’s major fund raiser and great community parent celebration – Information was sent out in the mail for sponsorships and tickets *see below for more information and how to help
- Class Representatives Speeches/Elections – Wed 5/15 & Thu 5/16
- Junior Physics Trip to Kings Island – Mon 5/20
- Computer Science Fair – Wed 5/22 2p Dining Hall – students/faculty only
- MOSAIC last meeting – Wed 5/22, 6-7p Dining Hall
- Senior Project Videos due – Thu 5/23
- US Exam Review – Thu 5/23 & Fri 5/24
- Honors Assembly – Fri 5/24 930a Mack Gym and Senior Family Reception – 11a Dining Hall *Advisor/K-Buddy/Video presentations – all senior parents encouraged to attend this celebration
- NO SCHOOL – Memorial Day – Mon 5/27
- Final Exams (English and Social Studies have projects)
- Tue 5/28 10a Science
- Wed 5/29 10a World Language
- Thu 5/30 10a Math
- Fri 5/31 Make Ups
- Senior Project Independent Study Presentations Tue 5/28 – Thu 5/30
- PACA sponsored exam sweets for US – Tue 5/28 and Thu 5/30
- Surprise Senior All Day Party – Mon 6/3 1230-1030p meet at school for bus *information out to parents – send in check and permission slip on email
- Class Appeals Tests – Fri 5/31 or Wed 6/5
- College Counseling Field Trip – rising 11th & 12th graders – Denison & OSU Tours – Tue 6/4 8:15a Bus Circle – advanced sign up required
- Commencement Rehearsal – Wed 6/5 10a Senior Quad
- Commencement – Thu 6/6 9a Senior Quad – Mack Gym if rain, Reception following in Lazarus Courtyard – Dining Hall if rain
- Final Grades – Wed 6/12 12p My Backpack
Celebrate the Arts – Director’s Circle
Planning to attend the Orchestra performance?
Enjoy an adults only “Director’s Circle” style event with orchestra director, David Wong, and Upper School Art teacher, David Block.
Experience a spotlight of the creative process for developing student ensembles and creating student art shows.
Hors d’oeuvres, beer and wine will be served and are included with the cost of admission ($10)
Peruse the Senior Art Show display while there and mingle with fellow arts lovers. Then, head to the CA Dining Hall for the show!
Wednesday May 1st 6-645pm Morris Hall Art Gallery
CAPSA (Columbus Academy Parents of South Asia group) is hosting a HOLI celebration on May 5th. Details below!
WHY: To celebrate “Holi” – Hindu festival of colors, celebrating the arrival of spring and triumph of good over evil but mostly to get together and have fun! WHEN: Sunday, May 5th from 2-4pm
WHERE: Lower School Playground/Blacktop
WHO: Everyone in the CA community is welcome!
WHAT: Color throw, delicious food from Tandoori Grill, Kona Ice Truck, Bollywood music and more!
WHAT TO WEAR/BRING: Wear white or light colors that you don’t mind getting powdered colors on! Glasses or goggles are also a good idea. Bring a picnic blanket or lawn chairs to sit on!
PACA Spring Gala
This year’s PACA Spring Gala 2019 Fundraiser, The Iconic 80s, will be held on Saturday, May 11th at Columbus Academy. Sponsorship opportunities, tickets and event information can be accessed online now: The Iconic 80s
One of the favorite (and easy!) ways to participate in PACA’s annual Gala Fundraiser is the Wine Wall. For $20, participants pull from a selection of wine collected from our CA community. Each bottle is guaranteed to be the equivalent of 90 points or above and at least a $20 value. It is a fun way to try some new wine and give back to the school.
This year I am leading the charge to collect an outstanding wine selection for this fundraiser. I am asking you to participate by donating a bottle or two of wine towards this year’s event.
This is how you can get involved:
- Select a bottle (or two, or three…) from your own private collection for donation, or
- Pick up an extra bottle of your favorite wine for donation the next time you’re shopping, or
- Donate money (at least $22/bottle) toward the purchase of wine for the wine wall (online donations, check via backpack express or standard mail are all accepted).
We ask that all physical wine bottle donations are rated at an equivalent of 90-100 points and are valued over $20.
Please take a moment to fill out the online wine donation pledge form below.
Thank you in advance for your donation to this year’s wine wall during PACA’s Iconic 80s Gala Fundraiser.
Surprise Senior Party – Monday 6/3, 1230-1030p – all students meet at drop off loop for bus – Information just went out to senior parents asking for payment and permission slip for this all day celebration planned and supported by PACA Parents. Invite out to kids soon.
Commencement/Attire – typically and generally required – women wear long white/cream dresses and men dark suits with white shirts only, tie, and dress shoes. It’s grass so avoid high heels for all. Seats for part of each family may be held up front but there are always plenty of extra seats further back – no bad seats in the quad. Any questions or pushing the envelope on attire – have approved by Cory Izokaitis.
Graduation Parties Calendar – check dates and times as you plan to allow students to make it to all the celebrations – generally all students are invited to all fellow grad parties with some posting on social media – parents may get personalized invitations for certain seniors or family friends.
Also – see the web page for the 12th grade calendar: https://www.vikingparents.org/division-news/12th/
Let us know if you have something for the next update!