Well, that was a quick two weeks! We have two more until break then we’ll get back to you at the end of March. We had another wonderful educational parent evening and MOSAIC celebration with some amazing guests. Hope you had a chance to get lots of scoop at parent/teacher conferences. Today we had a pretty snow to start your March. And now, here are your updates.
CALENDAR HIGHLIGHTS –
for the next two weeks:
- Student Advisory grades 10 & 11 Q&A – Electives – Tue 3/5 – students meet with upper school students to answer questions about elective selection
- Student Advisory grades 9 & 10 Q&A – Courses – Wed 3/6 – students meet with upper school students to answer questions about course selection
- PACA Parent Forum – Guest Beckett Broh – Wed 3/6 8am Dining Hall
- College Preview Night – for 10th (and 9th invited) grade students & families – Wed 3/6 7p – Dining Hall – meeting with college counselors to discuss process/timeline
- Begin Daylight Saving Time – spring forward an hour – Sun 3/10
- Senior Class Trip to Nashville, TN – Tue 3/12 7a to Thu 3/14 7p (times approximate) – the entire class takes a bus trip together/teachers chaperone – meet at the school – check with your student for further details
- Band Disney Trip – Fri 3/15 12p to Tue 3/19
- Quarter 3 grades posted – Fri 3/15 330p
- Spring Recess – Sat 3/16 to Sun 3/31
- British Virgin Islands Trip – Thu 3/21 to Fri 3/29
- Columbus National College Fair – Sun 3/24 1-4p Convention Center
- Lacrosse teams – girls and boys – Baltimore Trip – Fri 3/29 to Sun 3/31
- All Day 4 CA – Thu 4/4 10a – Fri 4/5 11a – when CA families and friends come together to celebrate and support our school ** see below and
- Spirit Wear Day – Thu 4/4 – all school – go all out 4 CA
- True Beauty Fashion Show – Sat 4/6 8-11p Ballet Met **see below
- SAT at School for Juniors – Tue 4/9 8am
- Neighbors in Need – Ethics course role play simulation for 10th graders – Tue 4/9 8a-230p YMCA Gahanna *non-10th grade parents needed to volunteer all day as a person in the “community” created for the activity – training at 7:45a that day at the Y before the event start – contact Tim Leet
- US Musical RENT – Thu 4/11 7p, Fri 4/12 & Sat 4/13 730p Schoedinger Theater
- College Counseling meetings for 10th grade families – Mon 4/15 times tba
- Parent SEED Meeting – Wed 4/24 8am Huntington Room – Stacy Nockowitz speaking on “Diverse Books” – pick up a selection in the Admin Building
- Senior Art Show Opening – Wed 4/24 630-8p – Morris Hall Art Gallery
- Cabaret – Senior Choir showcase – Fri 4/26 730p Dining Hall
- Seniors Last Day – Fri 5/3
- Registration deadline for 6/1/19 SAT Subject Tests – Fri 4/5 College Board
- Prom – Sat 5/4 8p TBA – all grades invited
- AP Exams Mon 5/6 – Fri 5/17
- PACA Spring Gala – The Iconic 80’s theme – Sat 5/11 7-11p Dining Hall
- Final Exams Tue 5/28 – Thu 5/30
From our new Director of Internships
All current upper school students are invited to participate in the inaugural year of the Columbus Academy Internship Program. Available positions from our organization partners will be announced to students on February 25, with applications opening on March 3. Students who wish to participate must attend a mandatory internship workshop on February 28 at 1:00 p.m. to be eligible to apply for positions (RSVP to ContiJ@columbusacademy.org).
Important Upcoming Dates
- February 25 – positions announced to students
- February 28 – Internship Workshop (mandatory for all students to be eligible to apply for positions; RSVP to Ms. Conti)
- March 3 – applications open
- March 29 – applications close
- April 15 – Interview Day at CA (participating partners TBD)
All Day 4 CA is back — April 4-5
Get ready for All Day 4 CA, Academy’s 25-hour online giving event benefiting the Annual Fund: April 4 at 10:00a.m. to April 5 at 11:00a.m. Matching funds will kickstart the day and double the impact of each dollar donated. You can be All In for: CA (unrestricted), Arts, Athletics, Curricular Innovation, Faculty or Financial Aid.
If you haven’t already contributed to the Annual Fund this school year, donate during All Day 4 CA and your gift of any amount can have twice the impact! Have fun giving in honor of each of your children’s grades to show that you are all in for our teachers and students.
Have you already donated to the Annual Fund? Consider an additional donation April 4-5! Your gift will be matched and contribute to the all in spirit of the day. Your “above and beyond” support also allows the school the flexibility to respond to new opportunities that keep Academy at the leading edge with the best independent schools in the country.
This is more than just a day of giving—it’s a day of celebrating our amazing school! Text, post, tweet or email grandparents, friends and family to share why CA is important to you and ask them to join, #AllDay4CA.
Watch your inbox for more details about how to join in this incredible day of Viking spirit and support!
Spirit Wear Day – April 4
April 4 will be a special spirit wear day in celebration of All Day 4 CA. All students, faculty, staff and families are encouraged to join in the fun of going “all in” with spirit wear on top, bottom and even accessories like scarves, hats, socks, temporary tattoos, etc. Maroon or gray items may be worn in lieu of CA logo apparel as long as there isn’t another logo on them. There are offerings in the school closet that families can have as well. No jeans or yoga pants. Have fun with it—the more spirit the better!
True Beauty Fashion Show – Saturday 4/6
Please save the date and plan to join us for the True Beauty Fashion Show which benefits the Center for Balanced Living, the only comprehensive non-profit eating disorder clinic in Ohio. It is shaping up to be an exciting evening with AMAZING Silent Auction items. Invitations coming soon with more details.
Senior parents please check out the detailed emails and postings on the website from our senior parents – Marah Derzon and Sarah Klingbeil. There are lots of things to find out about and get on your calendars if you have never done this before! (Not that your second semester seniors are going to need any reminders or forget to tell you about anything…)
These include information about:
- 3/12 7a to 3/14 7p Senior Trip to Nashville
- 4/24 630p Senior Art Show opening
- 5/3 2p Final Bell/Last Day of School
- 5/6-5/28 Senior Projects
- 5/24 930a Honors Assembly and All Senior Family Reception
- 5/28 & 29 Senior Project presentations
- 6/3 1230p-1130p All Senior All Day Party – surprise tradition thrown by parents – more information soon
- 6/5 10a Commencement Rehearsal
- 6/6 9a Commencement
*PLEASE GATHER a baby/kid photo, sport/activity photo, and senior type photo for this event – information on how to submit coming soon – for honors reception video*
Service Hours – make sure they are all in – 45h outside/5h inside CA
Commencement Attire – have approved with school
Graduation Parties Calendar – check dates and times as you plan to allow students to make it to all the celebrations