CALENDAR HIGHLIGHTS –
for the next two weeks:
- Gala Planning Meeting – Tue 12/11 8am Huntington Room – If you still haven’t found your way to volunteer at the school, the Spring Gala which takes place in May is a perfect place to get started! Join event chair Tracie Klinefelter on Tuesday morning (12/11) in the Dining Hall at 8am for the organizational kick-off meeting. If you can’t attend but still want to help? Just send her a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- US Exams Review Wed 12/12 & Thu 12/13
- US Exams (more below):
– Fri 12/14 10a-12p English + Honors Mod Europe & Honors Chem
– Mon 12/17 8-10a Math, 12-2p History
– Tue 12/18 8-10a World Languages, 12-2p Music Theory/Comp Sci
– Wed 12/19 10a-12p Science
– Thu 12/20 Make-up exams as scheduled
- Empty Bowls – service project for Habitat – Fri 12/14 5-7p Otterbein College
- Alumni Holiday Luncheon – Fri 12/21 1130a CAC – Seniors invited invitation by mail – RSVP
- Winter Vacation Fri 12/21 – Sun 1/6
- Last day to make a tax-deductible Annual Fund donation in 2018 (giving.columbusacademy.org) – Mon 12/31
- Semester Grades posted – Tue 1/8 3:30p
- PACA Parent Forum – Wed 1/9 8a Dining Hall
- College Counseling Parent Coffees – Weds in January 8a Dining Hall – geared mostly for junior parent/guardians, all welcome, info on line
- 1/9 Introduction as part of PACA Forum
- 1/16 Standardized Testing
- 1/23 Planning College Visits
- 1/31 Athletic Recruiting
- 2/6 Snow Date
- Senior On-campus Overnight Party originally Fri 1/11 – new date TBA
- Blood Drive – Wed 1/16
- US Coffee House – Wed 1/16 7p
- Teacher Appreciation Winter Breakfast – Thu 1/17 – 10th Grade
- MLK Day – No Classes – Mon 1/21
- Swimming Team Senior Night – Tue 1/22 4:30p
- Dinner of Great Conversations – Tue 1/22 6-830p Dining Hall – Invitation in email – RSVP by 1/13 – presented by the CA Board’s Cultural Consciousness Committee
- Ice Hockey Team Senior Night vs DeSales – Fri 1/25 8p Easton Chiller
- Winter Formal – Sat 1/26 8pm CA
- Parent Education – movie “Screenagers” – Tue 1/29 7p
- Summer Opportunities – parent meeting – Wed 1/30 7p
Exams (Click here for schedule)
- Your children should have all the information they need
- Classes review Wednesday and Thursday this week
- Exams start on Friday and the schedule is posted above
- Teachers will be available to individual students who may still have questions this Friday 12/14 after morning exams
- Make up exams will be scheduled individually on Thursday 12/19 if needed
- Students with extended time have received information from Mr. Dow
- Brunch/lunch will be provided by Sage in the dining hall on days when there are two exams scheduled with a break from 10-12
- Students may stay the entire day but are allowed to come and go just for their exam times
- Attendance is taken in the exams
- Cory Izokaitis met with 9th grade parents who are new to the upper school at a coffee Friday to answer any additional questions. Feel free to contact your grade parents or check the website if you were unable to attend.
From Kelly Vaziri and Sara Wunsch, PACA Parent Education Coordinators:
Thank you to all of the parents who attended our kickoff Parent Education event! It was a well-attended event, and the programming was fascinating and fun! The summary is available on the PACA website under Parent Education. For those of you who were unable to attend, I encourage you to take a look. Moving forward, we have two more events scheduled.
January 29th–Please join us for a movie night! We will be showing Screenagers–Growing Up in the Digital Age. From their website:
“Are you watching kids scroll through life, with their rapid-fire thumbs and a six-second attention span? Physician and filmmaker Delaney Ruston saw that with her own kids and learned that the average kid spends 6.5 hours a day looking at screens. She wondered about the impact of all this time and about the friction occurring in homes and schools around negotiating screen time—friction she knew all too well.
In Screenagers, as with her award-winning documentaries on mental health, Delaney takes a deeply personal approach as she probes into the vulnerable corners of family life, including her own, to explore struggles over social media, video games, academics and internet addiction. Through poignant, and unexpectedly funny stories, along with surprising insights from authors, psychologists, and brain scientists, SCREENAGERS reveals how tech time impacts kids’ development and offers solutions on how adults can empower kids to best navigate the digital world and find balance.”
February 20th–Internationally acclaimed psychologist and author, Catherine Steiner-Adair, will join us to discuss her book, The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age. To read more about Dr. Steiner-Adair click here:
VIKING CORNER FOR THE HOLIDAYS
And as you prepare for the holidays… don’t forget a great place to shop for your favorite people is the Viking Corner!
The Viking Corner store is open one more day for shopping – this Wednesday 12/12 – then they’re taking a break until February!
Gift Cards are Available.
And you can also shop online 24/7 at www.vikingcorner.com
Finally, don’t forget for those of you who use Amazon, you can shop and benefit PACA at the same time. Details are here on how to link in! https://www.vikingparents.org/home/resources/#Amazon