Dear Upper School Families:
Another great weekend with a MOSAIC tailgate, Service apple picking, and HOLA! celebration as well as our thrilling fall teams athletic matches.
Here is what’s happening the next two weeks:
- Mon 10/1 Fall Holiday – No Classes
- Tue 10/2 Understanding Financial Aid for College – 7-8pm Schoedinger Theater – joint program with CSG and an outside speaker – all grades welcome
- Wed 10/3 PACA Parent Forum – 8am Dining Hall – everyone is invited to come for breakfast and hear updates from the school and PACA. The theme for this month is athletics. For more details see: https://www.vikingparents.org/
- Mon 10/8 Parent SEED meeting – 8am Huntington Room – get your copy of the book for discussion in Alumni Hall
- Mon 10/8 Girls Soccer Senior Night – 6pm Hondros – vs Johnstown Monroe
- Tue 10/9 Volleyball Senior Night – 6pm The Mack – vs Grandview Heights
- Wed 10/10 PSAT – 8am at school – for 10th and 11th grades, 9th grade regular classes, 12th grade time to work with the college counselors
- Fri 10/12 Charlie David Dinner – 5-730pm Dining Hall – more details below
- Sat 10/13 US Fall Dance – 8pm Dining Hall – more details below
- Parent Teacher Conferences: (sign up starting time tba)
10/22 3:30 – 5:30 pm,
10/25 12:30 – 8:30 pm
10/26 8 am – 3:30 pm
- Kids4Kids Service food and clothing drive
- School Science Spring Break Trip
3/21-3/29 Joel Davis will lead a group to the British Virgin Islands for camping, sailing, and snorkeling, while studying West Indian culture and coral reef ecosystems. Contact Mr. Davis if interested: DavisJ@columbusacademy.org
Charlie David Dinner & Auction
The 36th annual Charlie David dinner is Friday, October 12th from 5pm – 7:30pm in the dining hall. This event helps fund our middle and upper school athletic programs and student club organizations at the school. It’s a casual, family-friendly pre-football-game (CA plays Bloom Carroll at 7:30p) tailgate for all ages. City BBQ cuisine (vegetarian options available) will be served in the dining hall, over 100 silent auction items will be available for purchase, and upper school students organize activities for our youngest Vikings in the school gym. Tickets and event sponsorships can be purchased at the door or online here: http://www.
vikingcorner.org/charlie-david -dinner/. To volunteer at the event, please sign up here: https://www. signupgenius.com/go/ 4090E4FA9A92AA0F94-2018. This is the perfect event for every Viking to attend. Over 800 student athletes thank you in advance for your support!
The US Fall Dance is Saturday October 13th from 8-11pm in the dining hall. Everyone is invited and kids come in all versions of couples, singles, and groups. Kids often dine with friends prior but it doesn’t need to be fancy and encourage them to be inclusive. Students have needed permission slips signed in the past. They must arrive prior to 9pm for entry. It is suggested that names go on shoes and jackets that often end up in piles. Communicate with other parents to keep kids safe at gatherings before and after the dance.
Hispanic Heritage Month
This celebration goes from mid-September to mid-October each year. Our HOLA! group had a great celebration 9/30 and is asking for families to share the rich culinary traditions by preparing a dish from a common theme each week and share their creations with the CA family #CAHHM. The week of 10/1 is rice, and 10/8 is desserts. https://www.columbusacademy.
org/sites/default/files/ uploads/Languages/ HispanicHeritageMonthFlyer2018 .pdf
Team Senior Nights
We will include sports senior nights to help you plan for these celebrations and know about the other teams your family may want to support.
US Leadership Team Meetings
We have two representatives from each class who meet monthly with Cory Izokaitis and other school leadership to hear what is happening in the US, bring in speakers on current school events, as well as plan gatherings for parents and treats for our students. If you have any ideas for parties or gatherings or treats, or questions to discuss in that forum, please feel free to reach out to your class representative or either of us.
Website / Emails
As a reminder, check out the new PACA website – vikingparents.org.
See you in two weeks! Please let us know of any information that you would like us to post.
Amy Arnett Budzik (Drake ’17, Claire ’19, Luke ’21)
Christine Freytag (Alec ’18, Sophia ’20, Ethan ’22)