CALENDAR HIGHLIGHTS –
for the next two weeks:
- Semester 1 Grades posted – Tue 1/8 3:30p
- PACA Parent Forum – Wed 1/9 8a Dining Hall CANCELLED
- College Counseling Parent Coffees – Wednesdays in January 8a Dining Hall – mostly for junior parent/guardians, all welcome, info on line
- 1/9 Introduction as part of PACA Forum – CANCELLED
- 1/16 Standardized Testing
- 1/23 Planning College Visits
- 1/31 Athletic Recruiting
- 2/6 Snow Date
- Swimming Team Senior Night – Thu 1/10 4:30p
- Bowling Team Senior Night – Fri 1/11
- Senior On-campus Overnight Party (originally Fri 1/11) NEW DATE – Sat 2/9 8p-7a
- Blood Drive – Wed 1/16
- US Coffee House – Wed 1/16 7p CANCELLED
- Teacher Appreciation Winter Breakfast – Thu 1/17 – 10th Grade sponsoring – see email with Sign Up Genius
- MOSAIC meeting – Thu 1/17 6p dining hall
- MLK Assembly – Fri 1/18
- Sr Project prelim proposal due – Fri 1/18 – students complete these during those weeks in May after they finish classes and before they graduate – look for information about a parent meeting to fill you in on the projects
- MLK Day – NO CLASSES – Mon 1/21
- SEED meeting – Tue 1/22 8a Huntington Room – discussing book by Jodi Picoult, Small Great Things
- Dinner of Great Conversations – Tue 1/22 6-830p Dining Hall – Invitation in email – RSVP by 1/13 – presented by the CA Board’s Cultural Consciousness Committee
- Ice Hockey Team Senior Night vs DeSales – Fri 1/25 8p Easton Chiller
- Winter Formal – Sat 1/26 8-11p CA
- Parent Education – movie “Screenagers” – Tue 1/29 7p
- Varsity Girls Basketball vs New Hope Christian Academy with Little Dribblers 7p – The Mack
- Summer Opportunities – parent meeting – Wed 1/30 7p
Be sure to click on the magnifying glass to read the comments from your child’s teachers that add to the letter grade and communicate other qualities about your child in the classroom.
Dress Code Additions
US will now allow boys to wear shorts even before spring break. Also, short boots will be permitted for better foot gear in the winter months.
From Kelly Vaziri and Sara Wunsch, PACA Parent Education Coordinators:
January 29th–Please join us for a movie night! We will be showing Screenagers–Growing Up in the Digital Age.
From their website:
“Are you watching kids scroll through life, wit their rapid-fire thumbs and a six-second attention span? Physician and filmmaker Delaney Ruston saw that with her own kids and learned that the average kid spends 6.5 hours a day looking at screens. She wondered about the impact of all this time and about the friction occurring in homes and schools around negotiating screen time—friction she knew all too well.
In Screenagers, as with her award-winning documentaries on mental health, Delaney takes a deeply personal approach as she probes into the vulnerable corners of family life, including her own, to explore struggles over social media, video games, academics and internet addiction. Through poignant, and unexpectedly funny stories, along with surprising insights from authors, psychologists, and brain scientists, SCREENAGERS reveals how tech time impacts kids’ development and offers solutions on how adults can empower kids to best navigate the digital world and find balance.”
February 20th–Internationally acclaimed psychologist and author, Catherine Steiner-Adair, will join us to discuss her book, The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age. To read more about Dr. Steiner-Adair click here: http://www.csadair.com/
Let us know if you have something you would like in the next update.
Good luck with those New Year’s resolutions!