CA: LS3yo Explorers Class – Weekly Email
Publish Date: Monday 09/03/18
Hello 3yo Explorers Families, hope you are enjoying a wonderful holiday weekend! Here’s the week in 3yo Explorers…
Know your teachers!
Mrs. Robeano is entering her 18th year teaching at CA. She spent 10 years teaching Spanish to pre-K through 2nd grade, and then the remaining years teaching Pre-K and K! And a tidbit for your littles- her favorite color is lime green.
– PlayDoh making for 3yo class: request for biweekly playdoh making by 3yo families. Signup genius for playdoh making here! A super activity to do with your little –let them pick the color + supply the elbow grease! No limit on signup. Recipe found on the signup genius & in the Misc section below!
– Plastic bags: Calling all grocery/plastic bags! If you have any you would like to donate to our classroom, it would be greatly appreciated (these are essential to send home soiled clothes!)
– Share with the 3yo Explorers your special skill, family tradition (if you didn’t get to fill out the questionnaire at parent night) – please respond to this email
– Family (parent/caregiver-child) gathering & Parent-only gathering this year: if you have interest in hosting one – please respond to this email
– Sunscreen: Sunscreen should be applied by the parents in the morning before the school day. The teachers will reapply for the afternoon children using the Up and Up brand or Coppertone 50. If you have a specific sunscreen you need your child to use based on a medical need or allergy, please send it into school with your child’s name clearly marked on the bottle. An additional email or note through SeeSaw alerting us of your need would be appreciated.
– Extra Clothes (including underwear & socks): Please make sure that you replace/ return to school any clothing that was sent home soiled. It is important that teachers have these items available when accidents, excessive spills, etc. happen. Please be sure that these items are also appropriate for the weather- short sleeves, shorts, light fabrics.
– Rain Gear: All rain boots are in – so thank you! If your child does not already have a rain jacket and waterproof pants, please be looking to get purchase, label these with your kid’s name, and bring into class. These do not need to be expensive items but will be needed as they will be spending approximately 60% of the day outside (even in the rain – so long as no thunder/lightning and is safe)!
Here are some resources I found that might be helpful in looking into rain pants:
o Amazon search keywords “toddler rain pant”
– Backpacks: Please make sure that your child is coming to school each day with his/her own backpack. This is a school routine they are practicing with your child as well as to allow for easy transfer of items back and forth to school
– 3yo Lunch menu – for those who have littles who eat lunch at school, teachers will post a picture on SeeSaw of the menu (highlighting/circling the 3yo options) start of each week
– Birthdays: Birthdays are celebrated in the mornings as not all children spend the full day at school. You will receive a note from your teachers at the beginning of your child’s birthday month with suggested days/times that will work with class schedule and reminders. Birthdays are celebrated with the sharing of a special story OR a special item chosen by the birthday boy or girl ( a show and tell type of thing). You may also bring in a snack to share. Any food brought into the school must be NUT FREE (and there is a peanut allergy in the class to be mindful of)! We also encourage you to bring in a snack that is a healthier choice as this celebration occurs before our lunch. Please do not bring in any extraneous decorations or goodie bags as this is not a birthday party but rather a classroom celebration recognizing your child’s special day. Napkins and water will be provided.
– Viking Code, guidelines for expected student behavior in the Lower School, has been communicated. Specific to the 3yo Explorers, school will use age-appropriate “Think Sheets” for students to complete at Level 1 and Level 2 to ensure they are involved in the process and provide them an opportunity to reflect on their choices. 3YO-PreK-Kindergarten Think Sheet
Old News: (but still pertinent!)
– Reminder on all your KEY communication sites (outside of this weekly email):
o SeeSaw – your daily pro-active communication channel from teachers of your 3yo (group pictures seen by a larger audience and individual pictures only seen by you sent each day)
o PACA website – repository for all CA-wide parent communications (including these weekly emails (found under the “3yo Explorers” section)
o www.columbusacademy.org (school lunches and other information, directory, curriculum guides, dress code, general calendar)
o www.vikingparents.org (PACA and parent involvement – go here to find ways to volunteer!)
o www.mybackpack.org (parent contact information, kids schedules, grades – rarely used by 3yo class)
o www.academyvikings.org (sports related schedules and information – rarely used by 3yo class)
o Twitter:@vikingparents – Parents feed, @ColumbusAcademy – School’s official feed, @AcademyVikings – Official sports feed of CA Athletics, @Vikings2College – CA College Counselor’s feed
o Instagram: @columbusacademy – School feed
Key Dates: Next 3 weeks
Wed Sep 05
PACA Meeting (Parent Association of Columbus Academy) 8:00 – 9:15 am
Dining Hall Fireside
Thu Sep 06
SEED Meeting (Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity) 8:00 – 9:00 am
Dining Hall Fireside
Fri Sep 14
Lower School Family Campout – register for LS family campout
Sat Sep 15
Viking Rampage Day – register for Viking Rampage Day
Thu Sep 20
Parent Coffee (topic TBD) 8:30-9:30am
Dining Hall Fireside
Wed Sep 26
– 3YO Picture Day! & School Picture Retakes
– Parent Book Club 8:30-9:30am
“Voice Lessons for Parents: What to Say, How to Say It, and When to Listen” by Dr. Wendy Mogel (chapters 1-4 only)
Dining Hall Fireside
Super Soft Jell-O Playdough Recipe for Class
(NOTE: This is a doubled recipe!)
~ 2 cups of white flour
~ 2 cups of warm water
~ 4 tbsp of salt
~ 4 tbsp of cream of tartar
~ 4tbsp of cooking oil
~ 2packs 3oz of Jell-O (-or- 1pack 6 oz of Jell-O)
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a small saucepan until most of the lumps are gone.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously until it thickens into a ball of dough.
- Place the dough onto a floured cutting board and wait for it to cool.
- Once it is cool (at least 20-30 minutes) let the little ones knead it, adding in flour until it is no longer sticky (about 1/2 cup).
Have a great week, and as always, please reach out if you have any questions/need anything!
Jessica, 3yo Explorers room parent